As some of you may know, my birthday is this Saturday (March 25th)! It’s kind of crazy to think that I’m not going to be a teenager anymore and that I have almost been alive for two decades. In celebration of almost being in the roaring 20’s, I’m going to make a list of 20 things I’ve learned since being born!
1) Not everyone is going to like you, but that’s okay because you’re not here to please anyone on this earth. You were placed here to love the Lord and bring others to him.
2) Music is good for the soul. Whether its music that just gives a good vibe or sad music when you’re in the feels, music is always good for the soul.
3) It’s always better to have a few true friends than 100. It’s far better to have few friends that you can tell everything to rather than having 100 people you call friends with a surface level relationship.
4) Don’t be afraid to be yourself. We are called to be bold while on this earth. God only made one of you, so go show the world how great you are!
5) Coffee is a magical thing. It’s fun, tasty, and it can get you through the day with very little rest required. I love you coffee.
6) Perfection is unobtainable. This is something we all know deep down and yet we still strive for it. I’ve given up on trying to be perfect because there is no way possible that I can be. That’s why Jesus came and died for me after living a perfect life, so I wouldn’t have to.
7) I am not good with plants. I kill any plant that comes my way, I even once killed a succulent… how does one kill a plant that needs little sunlight and water?
8) Hot dogs are the best. Hot dogs are my favorite food, and no I’m not kidding. Sometimes I go to Costco just to buy a hot dog (best hot dogs ever!!)
9) Family and friends are great things to have. Both are important to me personally, and both are needed for different reasons in life. Family will never leave you and support you in ways you didn’t know you needed sometimes. Friends will listen to you and care for you in a way that allows you to feel comfortable with being vulnerable with them.
10) Community is important. While living for Jesus is hard, its important to have people around you have will push you to the cross and help you when times are extra hard.
11) Staying home with friends is much more fun than going out. Its fun to do things outside, but sometimes staying in to watch movies and talking about life is so much better.
12) Making great memories is important. As my best friend and fellow the buzz blogger Amelia would say, “Do it for the mems”. Seize every opportunity in life and make it a great memory to last forever.
13) Texas Tech University is the best out there. From our traditions to our beautiful campus, our school is the best there is.
14) Lubbock is actually not the wasteland you may think it is. It’s practically the capital of west Texas, so yes we have things to do.
15) Feelings are hard but cool sometimes. I’ve had my share fair of feelings that make you feel like you’re the only one going through something or that you may never you’re inadequate. While those feelings are hard and sometimes scary, the feelings that make you feel loved and appreciated are cool.
16) Decisions are hard. I’m the queen of indecisiveness because decisions are hard and sometimes permanent. But, they are going to come up in this life time because they have to be done. Embrace having to make them.
17) Fall is the best season out there. The beauty you can see while walking around while the leaves fall is something indescribable. Football, pumpkins, scarves, need I say more?
18) Mountains are beautiful and fun to climb. See the sun rise or set behind a mountain range is probably the coolest thing ever. Being able to climb a mountain and look at the very from the top is indescribable. I just think its amazing God could create such beautiful things.
19) It’s okay to not be okay. It’s okay to not feel content with where you are in life. It’s okay to not feel happy all the time. It’s okay to feel these things, but it’s not okay to sit in them. We must seek the Lord and find our joy in him once again when we feel this way. He’s the only way we can come out of dark places like that.
20) Nothing can separate us from the love of God. While it seems like we are too broken for the Lord, or have committed too much sin in this lifetime, we can never be separated from His love. Jesus came down to save us so that when we sin, all God sees is His son, and he only has love for His son. How crazy is that?
Well, there are 20 of the millions of things that I’ve learned in my almost 20 years. We get to learn a lot of cool things in life, and I’m grateful for the opportunity to get to learn more the older I get.